When I was a teen, I had a long list of what I wanted my Prince Charming to be like.
Yes I actually wrote a list of the desired traits which I wanted in my future man. I kept this list in my drawer and locked it away, and told myself that I’ll look at this letter again once I have found HIM.
There were around 20 traits in that list. Among them were: smart, geeky, likes to read, has own house and car, wise, macho. It’s funny looking at it now, was there any man who can actually fit ALL those criteria’s? Damn I was a picky girl!
See, I feel that women make two grave mistakes when choosing a partner:
Mistake 1: We get caught up in the idea of a perfect guy, thus creating unrealistic standards which literally NO guy can meet (me!)
Mistake 2: We lower our standards too much because we believe that we are not worth a Prince Charming. Thus, sticking with jerks who treat us badly
Since I’d like to think of myself as a ‘mature adult’ now *wink*, I have revised my list on what a Modern Day Prince Charming should be like. So here it goes:
1. Respectful: Prince Charming should be someone that respects you, your values, your likes and dislikes. He might not agree with them, but still respects them.
2. Effort: He takes the time and effort to hang out with your friends and family, among other minor things.
3. Patient: He puts up with your shenanigans, but still tells you off when you need to be told.
4. Real: He’s human, with hopes, dreams, feelings, and flaws.
But most importantly,
5. He’s In Love: You can just tell, without a doubt, that he loves you. Even without the expensive gifts, the fancy restaurants, or the crazy parties, you know.
So my dear reader, if you’re still looking for your Prince Charming, keep looking and don’t lose hope. I assure you that when you finally meet him, it’ll be more than worth the wait.
As for me, did my Prince Charming meet my teenage list of traits? Nope.
He was so much more than that list, and I could not be happier or more grateful.
Sometimes, God doesn’t give you what you want, he gives you what you need. Trust and have faith.
Lots of love from me.