I currently type this as I wait out the remaining minutes of my life as a 26-year old. I must admit that I am feeling a mixture of melancholy, excitement, apprehensiveness and hopefulness as the minutes go by. I am sure that these emotions are shared by many people as they grow a year older.
I have learned a lot during my years, and while I don’t know everything (sometimes I feel like I don’t know anything!), there are things which I definitely know for sure.
So throughout these 26 years, here are the 26 things I know for sure:
1. It pays to be nice, so be nice.
2. Never stop learning, because one can never know it all
3. Always be humble enough to accept criticism
4. But be confident enough to know when it’s a negative criticism
5. Everyone has their flaws, including you.
6. Do what makes you happy
7. If you don’t know what makes you happy, it’s okay, there is time.
8. Always be respectful to your elders.
9. There will be a point where you will do or say something you regret. It is okay, regret is felt by everyone.
10. YOU DON’T HAVE TO PLEASE EVERYBODY.
11. No matter how nice you are, people are going to talk behind your back. Ignore them.
12. Patience is a bitch, but also a virtue, make her your friend.
13. You are worth more than people who don’t value you, walk away.
14. Fear is always worse than the act itself. Do not be afraid.
15. Your worth is not measure by others, only you.
16. Look for the people who love you unconditionally and stick to them
17. Have adventures, they are good for the soul.
18. When you do not know what to do, pray.
19. Take risk, they don’t always work in your favour, but take it anyway.
20. Respect other people’s opinion.
21. Be kind to others, even if people laugh at you for it, BE KIND.
22. Love is really not what they say in the storybooks that you read. It’s even better.
23. You can’t fully love another unless you love yourself first.
24. Change is constant, change is forever, accept it.
25. Accept failures and setbacks, and don’t think you’ll never fail.
26. It’s always darkest before the dawn.
So those are the 26 things which I know for sure. Now that I’m turning 27, I’d like to just add one wish for myself and for you as we grow a older:
27. That we always look forward with anticipation and joy. 🙂
Have a good day everyone.